Website Login

PDF

2014 Kellion Medal

60 years

Presented at 61st Annual General Meeting of The Diabetic Association of South Australia Inc. Tuesday 28 October 2014, 10.00am at Diabetes SA, 159 Sir Donald Bradman Drive, Hilton SA 5033. Click here to download a copy of the printed booklet.

Diabetes SA is proud to announce the Kellion Victory Medal Recipients for 2013/2014, including:

Ruth Gibbs

ruth-gibbsI was 10 years of age when I was diagnosed with diabetes and vividly remember being in a country hospital, learning to give injections into oranges and eating lots of SAO biscuits.

Urine testing was done by the clinitest method, a test tape to see how much sugar we showed and we had to boil up our glass syringes and needles to keep them sterile.

Being in the country there were no camps for children with diabetes to join and I didn't know any other children with diabetes but thanks to a very loving mum we got through the worst years.

I completed high school and played netball and tennis. In 1964 I started nursing at the RAH and was the first ever person with diabetes to become a registered nurse at that hospital. I went on to be a nursing sister at the Memorial Hospital.

I married my wonderful husband in 1971 and had 2 beautiful daughters. We are now grandparents to two beautiful girls.

A life with diabetes is never easy but thanks to modern equipment such as BSL machines it helps immensely and my thanks go to the wonderful support from my family, friends, Endocrinologists, Cardiologist, GPs and Podiatrists to get through some of the complications of diabetes I have encountered over 60 years.

Osteoarthritis has certainly slowed me down but I still run our church op-shop 2 days a week and look after my grandchildren.

Back to 2013/2014 Kellion Victory Medal Recipients

living