Website Login

PDF

2015 Kellion Medal

50 years

Presented at 62nd Annual General Meeting of The Diabetic Association of South Australia Inc. Tuesday 27 October 2015, 10.00am at Diabetes SA, 159 Sir Donald Bradman Drive, Hilton SA 5033. Click here to download a copy of the printed booklet.

Diabetes SA is proud to announce the Kellion Victory Medal Recipients for 2014/2015, including:

Leanne Adler

leanne-adlerI was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes in 1965 at the age of 18 months. My mum would play 'hide and seek' and I would tell her "if you can find me you can give me my needle", needless to say she always found me.

Our family life changed when I was about 4 or 5 when we moved to the Northern Territory, to a place called 'Areyonga' (just out of Alice Springs), we stayed there for a few years until I started to have major hypos and kept going into comas, so after we got to know the Royal Flying Doctor fairly well, we moved to the Alice to be closer to the hospital (where Dr Kerry Kirk had started a 'Diabetic Clinic') and also the airport for the regular trips to Adelaide to see the doctors.

I'm sure the doctors were sharpening their needles, not to mention the urine tests and the glass tubes which got broken often, then came this machine called a GLUCOMETER, well I didn't like that, it involved more jabs but with those awful razor blade lancets, thank goodness for modern technology.

I have had a few complications but not as many as some. I have learnt after all these years and lectures from my mate, Dr Burnet, that CONTROL is the key.

In closing I would like to put out there I think more awareness is needed, especially with teenagers.

Back to 2014/2015 Kellion Victory Medal Recipients

Share this article

twitter facebook google

living