Website Login

PDF

2015 Kellion Medal

50 years

Presented at 62nd Annual General Meeting of The Diabetic Association of South Australia Inc. Tuesday 27 October 2015, 10.00am at Diabetes SA, 159 Sir Donald Bradman Drive, Hilton SA 5033. Click here to download a copy of the printed booklet.

Diabetes SA is proud to announce the Kellion Victory Medal Recipients for 2014/2015, including:

Kay Morgan

kay-morganMy diabetes came about as a result of having a bike accident when I was 14 whilst cycling to school in Geelong, in wet weather – I hit a parked car and hurt myself internally. I managed to get home in a state of almost being in shock. That was in 1962 which was then followed by weight loss problems.

When I was 16 in 1963 and attending business college I applied for a job as a typist at the refinery, but from a medical exam which was required to join this company I was diagnosed with diabetes and rejected.

I married in 1970, then within a couple of months suffered a bout of pneumonia and a diabetic coma which brought about a change of medication to insulin injections, learning to self-inject by the accepted way, with an orange.

After several years of health problems not directly related to diabetes, I feel well able to cope with the ramifications of living with this in spite of the need to check my BGL up to ten times a day, controlling the levels by diet and five or more injections daily. I am regularly involved with my two grandchildren, play tennis twice a week with a great group of ladies at the Denman Tennis Club, keep socially involved with friends and generally keep busy with life. I am now in the throes of returning to my hobby of art, water colours and pencil drawings which helps to keep me focused on the enjoyable things in life.

Back to 2014/2015 Kellion Victory Medal Recipients

Share this article

twitter facebook google

living