Website Login

PDF

2014 Kellion Medal

50 years

Presented at 61st Annual General Meeting of The Diabetic Association of South Australia Inc. Tuesday 28 October 2014, 10.00am at Diabetes SA, 159 Sir Donald Bradman Drive, Hilton SA 5033. Click here to download a copy of the printed booklet.

Diabetes SA is proud to announce the Kellion Victory Medal Recipients for 2013/2014, including:

Sue Carver

sue-carverDiagnosed with diabetes at only 15 months of age I don't remember being 'different' from the other kids or being treated differently.

As an adult, I can't separate diabetes from anything else – it has always been there. I believe it is really important to teach kids with diabetes that they are worth taking care of and responsibility to care for themselves.

Around the age of 13, I started seeing an Endocrinologist, who put me on a sugar free 'portion' diet. Nobody explained to me why the change, why things I could eat before, I wasn't allowed now, my diabetes hadn't changed, only the doctor. I rebelled and didn't go back.

The portion diet however, did switch me on to learning about food and nutrition and since then I've learned a lot about achieving and maintaining general wellbeing.

In my early teens, I stopped doing urine tests before meals and at 19 I had a big wake-up call when I was told that I was going to go blind if I didn't take better care of myself. I soon found myself seeing an Endocrinologist again and quickly learnt perpetual self observation. I was about 20 when I got my first blood glucose meter.

For the last 30 years I've been learning about staying well and I will be really grateful when there is a cure available to everyone with type 1 diabetes.

Back to 2013/2014 Kellion Victory Medal Recipients

living